Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Virginia Visit: SAD Day. (01-31-2023)

Today isn't SAD Day like be unhappy or sorrowful.  Instead it is Sally Appreciation Day! Today is all about me! 

My family initiated SAD in 2021.  I had a  lot going on that spring - birthday, pilates teacher certification, retirement.  It all got combined and celebrated one day in May when we were visiting for a week in Abingdon.  While I didn't expect it to continue, some version of SAD has happened every year since.   I certainly won't say no to having my own special day!

2023 SAD starts with breakfast at Shoney's.  On Tuesdays the buffet is specially priced for seniors.  Shoney's says we are all seniors.  Those of us eating choose the buffet.











An item on my to do list is to pick up registration tags for my FIT. On the way to the local DMV we stop at FAS Mart where Jack picks up a Big Gulp. Then on down the street to DMV. I am prepared to wait, however am pleasantly surprised when I am helped right away. DMV staff are pleasant and helpful. The security guard walks me through the online check in. As soon as that is done I am called to the window. The clerk is courteous and helpful. It couldn’t have gone better.





On to Walmart.  Here BB and I look for a gift to serve as a momento of Virginia.  One of our Anchorage friends is from Draper, VA.  We want to take something back that reminds her of her old home.  We find a mug with the word Virginia on it surrounded by flowers.  It reminds us of her and we think it is something she will use.  I also purchase a few bottles of contact lense solution as it is cheaper here than in Anchorage.




Our next stop is at Abingdon Olive Oil Company.  Both BB and I buy olive oil.  Olive oil has health benefits; it is a healthy fat, contains antioxidants and is an anti-inflammatory. I use olive oil in a hot drink I make.  I call it my hot toddy. We see a peace dove ornament we think our Anchorage friend will like so we buy it too.

 


My brother and sister-in-law recently purchased a house in Abingdon. BB and I want a tour! We go by before heading back to Aunt May's Getaway. We loved it!  I like the layout and it  has a large sunroom.  I look forward to seeing it after they have moved in and made it theirs.



Can't be in Abingdon and not walk on the Virginia Creeper Trail!  Katherine meets us at the Watauga parking lot. We head for Damascus.   Don't make it.  We walk 30 minutes and and cross two tressels before deciding to turn back to the car.  




2023 SAD ends at the newlyweds' house.  Dinner is Greek chicken pita with fries from Greeko's Grill and Cafe.  We visit, eat, play with the cats and I OPEN PRESENTS!




2023 SAD...Thank you family for a wonderful day!


Sal

No comments:

Post a Comment

We are back❤️

It’s Friday morning, sitting with coffee after a lovely 12 hour sleep.  Sally is across from me plotting out not-to-miss activities for the ...