Sunday, February 5, 2023

Virginia Visit: Travel Day (02-02-2023)

Jack, BB and I are up at 3:45am for a 7:00am flight out of the Bristol Tri-Cities airport.  Jack drives us to the airport.  It's raining.  On I-81 we pass trucks treating the road for ice.  We don't notice any ice on the road.  Yeah.

Bristol Tri-Cities is a small airport.  It has one concourse with 7 gates.  It would be hard to get lost in this airport.  We didn't eat breakfast at Aunt May's so have coffee and granola bars as we wait to board.  It is a surprise at boarding time when we realize there isn't a gangway to the plane.  We walk out the gate door, down steps and across the tarmac to the plane....in the rain.  Gate personnel offer us an umbrella.  We turn it down.  We live in Alaska now; we are tough!


The stairs leading to the concourse at Tri-Cities:


Charlotte Douglas International Airport is the antithesis of Bristol Tri-Cities Airport.  There are five concourses; each concourse has at least 18 gates.  It's a nice walk to our departure gate.  We enjoy the humor of one of the attendants on the flight from Charlotte to Seattle.  When the drink cart reaches us BB asks for cranberry juice.  The attendant asks "On the rocks?" Then goes on to say "Be careful; it IS cranberry juice COCKTAIL!"  The snack is a two cookie pack of Biscoff cookies.  She says as she hands them out "Would you like some homemade cookies?  Baked fresh today!"  Her banter with the passengers provides needed diversion.

Seattle-Tacoma (Sea-Tac) International Airport is even bigger than Charlotte.  It has four concourses and two satellite terminals.  We take a train between terminals.  This is a long layover.  We are happily playing games on our phones when the gate agent calls my name and requests I report to the counter. We know the flight is full and my first thought is "Oh no something bad is happening."  She asks if I will switch my seat from F by the window to C on the aisle in the same row. I ask if it is for a greater good, like something medical? Answer "No."  So I say "No, I want the window and to sit by my sister." When the plane taxis for takeoff we see The Mountain (that's what Seattle people call Mt Rainier).  Later in the flight we see a colorful sunset.  In the moment I felt proud that I didn't give up my seat; however, I spend the flight feeling guilty.  But  because I kept the window I got to see The Mountain!  And a pretty sunset!





It is snowing when we land in Anchorage.  We collect our baggage then head for the pickup area to wait for the Dimond Airport Parking shuttle.  It arrives after a short wait.  Three of us get on.  The other passenger and driver seem to know each other.  Listening to their conversation, I learn that the passenger works at Prudhoe Bay.  The driver says it's snowed in Anchorage the last few days.  We get to the car.  It starts.  Yeah!  On the plane BB and I decided on Moose's Tooth Aloha pizza and Caesar salad for dinner.  I clear the car while BB orders dinner.  



We make our way to Moose's Tooth.  Another short wait for the pizza and salad.  Then a short drive home.  We (mainly BB) are excited to see Grey.  He is happy to see us for about five minutes; then swipes at BB's hand and draws blood.  

The pizza is good, Grey is asleep in front of the fire,  the band-aid on BB's hand stopped the bleeding and we have milk in the refrigerator. A happy ending to a long day.

Sal

No comments:

Post a Comment

We are back❤️

It’s Friday morning, sitting with coffee after a lovely 12 hour sleep.  Sally is across from me plotting out not-to-miss activities for the ...