Sunday, May 14, 2023

A Mother’s Day Walk

I bet Sal was surprised when I suggested a walk for my Mother’s Day outing over a dinner, museum trip or any other less strenuous excursion.  I had recently read about Thunder Bird Falls and the one mile “easy” walk to get there.  Saturday was a beautiful day, and I said “Let’s do it!”  We packed two peanut butter and pickle sandwiches, a couple of LeCroix drinks and off we went.

Just 30 minutes up the Glenn Highway, outside Eklutna, the trail is noted as a popular “first hike” for families with children.  We saw lots of families (parents pushing strollers, parents carrying their kids in backpacks, parents with kindergarten-aged kids) as every single one of those groups passed me on the “easy” trail.  Easy, obviously, is subjective.  The trail had two or three inclines, and going uphill is always a challenge for me.  But, with stops, I did make it.  And it is a nice enough waterfall.  


In the woods, I always have bears on my mind.  Sal said there were enough people on the trail that bears would know we were there and stay away.  Certainly the little boy who ran up the hill past me shouting “I’ve got super powers” was helpful in that regard.  He was shouting that phrase for the entire ten minutes or so we were hiking (I’ve decided it was more a hike than a walk) together.  He was a charmer.  No, he wasn’t, but he was certainly loud, and that counts for something in bear territory.

Once back to the car, I got a call from son John, and we all caught up while Sal and I had our sandwiches.  On the way home, Sal surprised me with a stop in Eagle River at the Matanuska Brewing Company for our favorite raspberry beer.  We took a scenic route home and saw two moose by the side of the road.  It’s always a treat.

Got home and baked some salmon, which turned out pretty good!  All-in all, a very nice day.

Today, Mother’s Day, I know we are all thinking of our moms.  My mom loved bluebirds, sausage gravy and her family, among many other things.   I hope you all have as beautiful thoughts and memories of your mother as I do of mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We are back❤️

It’s Friday morning, sitting with coffee after a lovely 12 hour sleep.  Sally is across from me plotting out not-to-miss activities for the ...