Wednesday, May 17, 2023

My First Successfull Solo Bird Identification (05-15-2023)




Until today, the new birds I saw were with the aide of another person.  Someone who knew what they were doing would identify a bird and point it out to me.  Sometimes the person would even let me look at it through their spotting scope.

This all changed today. Today, for the first time, I identified and located a new to me bird all by myself.  I  feel so proud!

I have the Merlin app on my phone. I learned about the sound identification feature  when BB and I were in Homer for the Kachemak Bay Shorebird Festival. 

Since the Festival I've started carrying binoculars with me when I walk.

Today was a nice spring day.  I  heard birds singing as I  walked around  University Lake.  One of the birds sounded closeby.  Merlin told me it was a yellow-rumped warbler. I stopped to look for it.  Searched using the binoculars. No luck.  Continued on my walk.  Told myself  birding was hard and required more patience than I possess.

Kept hearing the same bird song.  Merlin kept saying yellow-rumped warbler.  After walking to the other side of the lake I decide to stop and try again.  Success! I caught it flying between trees and saw where it landed.  I studied it through the binoculars.  It looked like the picture in Merlin!  Yellow in all the right places!

Hi.  My name is Sal and I'm a birder!


No comments:

Post a Comment

We are back❤️

It’s Friday morning, sitting with coffee after a lovely 12 hour sleep.  Sally is across from me plotting out not-to-miss activities for the ...